Volunteering is all about giving your time, skills and energy towards a cause that is important to you. Abused women, polluted pathways, homeless puppies, struggling readers, starving students, isolated seniors – these are but a handful of community needs that could use the help of volunteers like you. Everyone can make a difference and contribute to building thriving communities. You can start today.
How to start volunteering:
1. DECIDE what kind of volunteer opportunity you want. Think about your skills, interests, and availability. Read the list of Questions to ask yourself before volunteering below. These will help determine the type of volunteer position that is most suitable for you so that you can maximize your contribution of time.
2. SEARCH on the Propellus website. We’ve made it easy for you to browse for volunteer positions so you can search via Suitability, Activity and Cause. There are over 500 non-profit organizations posting volunteer opportunities all on one website! *We’re currently building a brand new website, but the Volunteer Search page will continue to be available to you.
3. SELECT your top 3 favorite volunteer opportunities. There are hundreds of volunteer opportunities on the website, start with three of your favorites to avoid being overwhelmed.
4. CONTACT the organization directly to apply. The website will list the contact information for the organizations that posted the volunteer opportunity. The person in charge of recruiting volunteers will let you know what the requirements are for the position. They may tell you to send in your resume, come in for an interview or get a police clearance — it will depend on the position you are applying for.
5. START making a difference! Once you’ve completed your volunteer assignment, go back to Number 1 and start over. WARNING: Volunteering can get pretty addicting.
Questions to ask yourself before volunteering:
- Why do you want to volunteer?
- How much time do you have to commit? Do you want to volunteer for one day or something ongoing?
- Do you want to volunteer with your head or your hands?
- Are there any specific causes that interest you?
- Are you looking to do a certain kind of activity?
- Is there an age demographic you are most comfortable working with?
- What skills do you want to learn or are you looking for job experience?
- What kind of surroundings would you like to be in?
- What special skills or talents do you have to offer?
- Do you have any limitations that you will need to fit into your position?